Aalborg University Campus
The University campus of Aalborg is situated just north of the University itself and has been designed as a small town of highly functional two storey student flats. Everything is tied together by an indoor street, called “The Boulevard”, which runs across the campus from north to south.
Originally, the site was one of the many University buildings used for teaching but over time it became outdated. Consequently, in 2006, turnkey contractor A. Enggaard A/S took over the building and, together with the architects Bjørk & Maigaard and the engineering firm Niras it was converted into excellent student accommodation.
The dramatic indoor street performs many functions. Its large 1000 m2 double height atrium has six community kitchens and is ideal for small and big events and the place where students can meet and socialise. It is well-suited for large indoor events around the café tables and for getting together in all kinds of weather to watch sports or films on the big screen.
On the ceilings of “The Boulevard” white-painted Troldtekt acoustic panels have been installed and these complement the utilitarian look of the building. Together with the cladding on the walls, this ensures a very pleasant acoustic environment, even when many people are gathered together.
In total, 152 student flats have been built of which 96 have double height living rooms with 7-9 m2 bed lofts suitable for home study and sleeping. The flats vary in size and layout depending on their location. In addition, 12 flats for the physically disabled have been provided. The facades of the building comprise white concrete elements broken up with a line of colourful frames to the windows and angled bays, while in complete contrast “The Boulevard” is clad with black glass panels on which large house numbers act as very strong graphic elements.